Lodging Establishment Licensing

The Environmental Health Division regulates all lodging facilities located in Bottineau, Burke, McHenry, McLean, Renville, Sheridan and Ward counties.  Lodging facilities include assisted living, bed and breakfast, hunting lodge, hotel/motel, summer camp, temporary crew housing, mobile home park, RV park and campground facilities.


Licenses for lodging facilities are valid from January 1 to December 31 and are non-transferable and license fees are not prorated.  The application forms for the different types of lodging facilities can be found by clicking on the links at the bottom of the page.


Prior to constructing a new lodging establishment, plans for the proposed establishment must be submitted to the Environmental Health Division along with a plan review request form and the appropriate fee.  Once plans have been reviewed and approved, construction can begin.  Once construction is complete, but prior to opening, a license application and fee must be submitted and a final inspection completed.  Once a facility license has been obtained and upon passing the final inspection, a new facility can open.


Lodging establishment licenses do not cover any type of food or beverage service or any type of swimming pool or spa facility located in or on the grounds of a lodging facility.  Any food or beverage service or swimming pool or spa facilities will require separate licenses.


For questions involving lodging establishments, contact one of our inspectors.


Effective January 1, 2019, all lodging establishments are regulated using the requirements found in the First District Health Unit Requirements for Facilities.